We all love cupcakes, but they seem to have had their time in the limelight. Now, it’s all about the meringue- the mini meringue or meringue ‘kiss’ to be precise. They are unashamedly easy to make, yet look so vibrant and beautiful piled onto a plate or cake stand. Serve them to friends after dinner or in large batches at a party. This recipe makes 24, but you’re bound to need more so just double up the quantities and you’re away!
What You Need:
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of food colouring)
1. Preheat oven to 150 C.
2. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
3. In a large clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
4. Gradually beat in sugar until a little of the mixture between your thumb and forefinger feels smooth, not gritty.
5. Stir in vanilla extract/food colouring.
6. Pipe or spoon small portions onto tray and bake for 35 minutes, or until dry but not browned.
7. Turn off the oven but leave meringues to cool down completely inside it.
8. If you like, sprinkle with some edible gold dust etc
9. Serve on one of our cake stands for a really dramatic effect.