Leeks are in season between November and April, so this is the perfect time of year to embrace their distinctive flavour. Very similar in taste to onions, they are also slightly sweet. This leek puff is great for buffets and really simple to make.
What You Need:
- 900g leeks
- 75g butter
- 450g puff pastry
- 5-6 tbsp double cream
- 1 beaten egg yolk with a splash of milk
- a little flour
- extra butter
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7/220C and put a baking tray into the oven*.
2. Trim, wash, drain and slice the leeks.
3. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and cook the leeks until soft – for about 20 minutes.
4. Season, turn up the heat and add the cream. Allow to bubble for a moment or two until the mixture is thick and creamy.
5. Half the pastry and roll into two identical circles.
6. Wipe butter onto a baking tray and put on it one of the pastry circles.
7. Spoon on the cooled leeks, leaving about 3cm all around the edge – brush that edge with beaten egg yolk.
8. Put the second pastry circle on top and press the edges down all round, sealing them firmly – use the tines of a fork.
9. Brush all over with beaten egg.
10. Make slits in the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
11. Slide the pie onto the warmed baking tray already in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until puffed and golden.
12. Cool for a few moments before serving.
*Tip: Putting the tray into the oven early ensures that the base of the tart is crisp.