What better way to enjoy this years Wimbledon season, than with a little sweet treat to savor whilst watching the matches!
This is a super simple recipe that showcases the iconic Wimbledon strawberry and cream combination as a light and delicious afternoon tea sweet, perfectly teamed with a pot of earl grey tea.
Wimbledon Strawberries and Cream Swiss Roll
- 100 grams Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs
- 200 grams Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Vanilla Pod or 2 Drops of Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
- 250 grams Mascapone
- 3 tbsp Icing Sugar
- 300 grams Fresh Strawberries Chopped
- 3 tbsp Strawberry Jam
Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5, grease and line a Swiss roll tin.
1. Beat the eggs, then add the sugar, salt and vanilla pod in large bowl with a whisk until the mixture is foamy and mousse-like.
2. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in gently with a metal spoon. (Try not to over mix as this will remove too much air and make the mixture too dense.
3. Pour the mixture into the greased Swiss roll tin and smooth the mixture to an even level with a palette knife or the back of a large spoon.
4. Bake in the oven for 10–15 minutes until the sponge has slighly goldened and feels springy to the touch.
5. Remove the sponge from the oven and gently turn onto a sheet of icing sugar coated baking paper.
6. Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes.
For the Cream Filling:
7. Mix the mascapone and icing sugar together in a bowl.
Assembling the Swiss Roll:
8. Spread the jam, then cream filling over the flat sponge and place an equal spread of finely chopped strawberries over the filling mixture (try not to over fill, as this may make it difficult to roll the sponge).
9. Gently begin to roll up the sponge using the baking paper. Try to make this as tight as possible for a tidy finish.
10. Once rolled, slightly sift some icing sugar and decorate by placing a few chopped strawberries on the top.