Quite addictive, this cake will disappear from the plate in minutes. The optional mascarpone topping gives a nice sweet edge. Serve it as part of afternoon tea on one of our beautiful cake stands!
Banana and Date Loaf
For the Loaf:
- 200 grams Plain Flour
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Bicarbonate of Soda (level tsp)
- 1/2 tbsp Baking Powder (level tsp)
- 25 grams Lard
- 25 grams Margarine
- 75 grams Caster Sugar
- 75 grams Chopped Dates
- 2 Bananas
- 1 tbsp Milk
For the Topping:
- 100 grams Mascarpone Cheese
- 25 grams Golden Icing Sugar
1. Sift the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the lard and margarine and rub in until evenly distributed, being careful to use only the fingertips.
3. Stir in the sugar and chopped dates.
4. Peel and mash the bananas and then add them to the mixture together with the milk. The mixture will seem fairly stiff.
5. Spoon into a 900 g (2 lb) loaf tin and smooth over the top, making a slight indent in the middle to encourage the cake to rise evenly.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 5, 190°C, 375°F for approximately 30 minutes, then turn the oven down to Gas Mark 3, 170°C, 325°F and bake for a further 40 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Turn out and leave to cool completely.
7. Mix the mascarpone cheese and icing sugar together and spread over the top of the cooled loaf.